Somba Martenity project was officially opened on 30th September, 2018 and has a catchment area of 7 group villages in Traditional Authority Bwana Nyambi, Mangochi but also serves people from Machinga who are share District’s boundaries.
The maternity has helped over 2,029 women in Antenatal, Labour, and Postnatal since its inception.
- The total number of children born has risen from 146 to 437 babies being born at the maternity
- On average the total number of admissions per month is 40
- It has reduced travel distance to other facilities
- It has helped in reduction of maternal and neonatal mortality as the services offered do promote the health of the communities.
- Reduced number of home deliveries